Monday 30 July 2012

Epic Fail in Tesco


Sometimes dads are simply embarrassing, just ask Lucie.

This morning I took her to Tesco and whilst waiting at the check-out queue, I noticed that she was beginning to escape from her bra. A quick glance revealed nobody was looking, so I gave her straps a tentative yank.

'What you doing dad,' asked Lucie, attracting the casual attention of the young chap operating the till.

Blushing but determined to protect my daughter's modesty and noticing the 'problem' had not resolved, I gave her straps another healthy, upwards yank.

P'DOING!

You know that feeling when you can tell something has dropped out of your shopping bag? Well  - that was kind of what it was like. Whilst Lucie's chest was now safely lowered into the depths of her t-shirt, her bra had emerged round her neck!  Aaaargh!!

'Erm....silly, dad. Can you sort that, Lucie?' I squirmed, by now attracting something of an audience. Hunky checkout-guy tried not to grin.

'Dad rubbish with Lucie's bra.'  Giggled Luce.

'Thanks for that kid, maybe if you could just......' I made vague hand gestures towards her t-shirt.

Lucie did some discreet rummaging and soon was 're-fettled'. I meanwhile, was the same colour as the plums which were ringing through the till..............PING!

5 comments:

  1. "Re-fettled"? Sounds like some ancient farming technique, or a codeword for sheep-rustlers or something - in a million years I would never have guessed the meaning here!
    Oh, poor Dad.I feel your pain.
    Those plums are just looking so embarrassed in that picture too, don't you think? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fettle was something my grandad said a lot. To fettle something, was to fix it. Tbh - I used it here more cos it sounded right and just relied on nobody querying when it meant! Fail again...lol.

    Yes - like the plum picture. They aren't just any plums, these are tormented plumbs, cringing plums! Especially the one on the right. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a grown son with ADD, nowhere near the things you have to deal with but I so relate to your daughter saying things how they are and you just want the floor to swallow you at that time but it never does. However these are the stories that you are able to look back on with fondness. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment - my fave ever Lucie faux-pas was when we were in HMV and were getting served by a goth lady with all the make-up, black hair, chains, piercings etc. Luce looked her in eye and said; 'silly woman, it is not Halloween yet'. Aaargh! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fettle now that's a good word I have used it a few times and definitly a good way to describe the situation. Love the halloween comment something my eldest would come out with lol

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.