Wednesday 4 April 2012

Hi and welcome to - Rabbit in Bag!

The idea of this blog is to act as a diary and provide material for a book I am trying to write. 
I am the (lucky but generally frazzled!) parent of Lucie and Emilie - my two daughters.
 
Here they are for you - 
Lucie
Emilie








          


Why Rabbit in Bag?  

Well, as you maybe know, autistic people can interpret what we say very literally and when we told Lucie that she mustn't carry poor rabbit in her hands (she had poor bunny by his ears!) - she re-appeared moments later with a Tesco bag. A Tesco bag with a bunny shaped bulge.....'

'Rabbit in Bag' she proudly declared! 

And there you have it. What else do you need to know?

Okay - my wife (Helen) and I are in our early(ish) forties, the girls our now twelve and fourteen (I need to update my photos, I know). I gave up full time work in the dull old world of financial services five years ago to look after the children and having got through a Literature degree, I now teach Creative Writing part-time, whilst completing a PGCE teacher training course.  





 We live in a house just outside York and the girls attend a school for children with special needs in the city. Both Emilie and Lucie have classic autism, with associated learning difficulties and we are currently awaiting an EEG for Lucie who appears to be epileptic, not uncommon in autistic kids.

They are both unique and their autism is part of them. We love them - and have to say, there is never a dull day. As I hope you will agree as you share the next twelve months with us.

Oh - Cinders the cat says hi too. She isn't autistic and is probably the most normal life form here - 'miaow'




4 comments:

  1. Nice start hun, the cinders bit made me chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mark, I came here via Facebook and am now following. My grandson is autistic and about the same age as your girls, so I look forward to reading your blog as it develops. I mention him in my own blog, but not in an autism-dedicated way.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joy,

    Thanks for the comment - much appreciated. I bet grandparenting is a challenge sometimes? Lucie and Em do visit Helen's parents each week, but never at the same time - too scary for anyone but us! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Emilie looks like Jasper :-)

    I think I may have told you before but I spent over 12 years teaching adults with Autism in a day centre.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.